A profitable and environment friendly transition to inexperienced power requires an expanded IMO GHG Technique. Container delivery and automotive carriers have joined forces within the World Delivery Council to name on the Worldwide Maritime Group for swift and concrete regulation to speed up the business’s decarbonization. 10 February 2022
Right now, for the primary time, a whole delivery sector stands united in its name to regulators for actionable and concrete measures to decarbonize international liner delivery (container delivery and automotive carriers). There may be little doubt that liner delivery has been superior of their commitments and investments to safe that delivery can keep aligned with the Paris Settlement. This widespread imaginative and prescient has made it potential for the World Delivery Council (WSC) to organize a concrete submittal to IMO MEPC78 outlining the founding blocks for a strong and future proof regulatory framework. Now, we’d like the IMO and its Member States to behave at this 12 months’s necessary IMO conferences.
The WSC proposal depends on the next core components:
1. A worldwide Inexperienced Home Gasoline (GHG) value: with renewable fuels more likely to value two to 3 occasions the worth of fossil fuels, a considerable international GHG value is a prerequisite to safe a aggressive marketplace for web zero fuels.
2. A clear well-to-wake life-cycle evaluation of fuels: life cycle assessments (LCA) are essential to creating knowledgeable choices about what carbon-price for top GHG fuels shall be efficient in making a stage enjoying area. Regardless of the technical character of those discussions, we urge IMO Member States to place focus and energy within the IMO improvement of LCA tips. It’s basic for the inexperienced fuels transition that the IMO will get this proper.
3. An formidable newbuild commonplace: IMO newbuild requirements have to depart from a easy enchancment in design effectivity and grow to be a part of IMO’s total technique. The requirements can, along with different measures, play a key position within the phasing-out of fossil fueled vessels. There’s a have to successfully safe that from an agreed date, vessels powered solely on fossil fuels will not be allowed to be constructed.
4. Inexperienced corridors, built-in manufacturing, and provide of zero GHG Fuels: constructing on the Clydebank Declaration, inexperienced corridors will allow a swifter roll-out of gasoline and expertise transition. Right here, manufacturing and provide shall be essential to catalyzing a collection of first order investments which are to be achieved at a crucial and unprecedented scale. A Low GHG Gasoline Customary has been recommended to the IMO, which may very well be tailor-made to incentivize use of latest fuels on these corridors.
5. Every of those components will in fact need to be additional fleshed out this 12 months, not least of which is the usage of the revenues stemming from this carbon value and the significance of securing a simply international transition. Nonetheless, the sign from the liner firms to the IMO is unequivocal: we’d like strong and future-proof regulation. And we’d like it now.
As an energetic member of the WSC, Maersk hopes that by setting the framework for what we imagine, as a sector, needs to be the IMO’s speedy subsequent steps, we will invite all related stakeholders for a constructive dialogue to safe that 2022 is remembered because the 12 months IMO Member States raised their ambitions and agreed on a strong GHG framework essential to navigate a serious power transition within the maritime sector and throughout the broader economic system.